|CLONLUM COURT TOMB
|This well hidden court tomb, marked on the OS map as ‘Chambered Grave’, lies 500m
north of the portal tomb at Clonlum. The burial gallery, 8.8m in length & aligned N-S.
is the best preserved part of the structure. It narrows from 2m in width at the north end
to 1m at the south end. A single roof-stone, 2.1m in width, lies out of position at the
north end, where the gallery opens out into a forecourt, defined by 3 stones on the west
& 2 stones at the east. Very little remains of the cairn which once covered the gallery,
but what does remain, suggests that it was rectangular in shape. There is a small
rectangular chamber (possibly a later subsidiary burial) set within the north horn of
the forecourt. William C. Borlase in his book, ‘The Dolmens of Ireland’ (1897 - Vol. 1
p. 304), notes the two megalithic tombs in this town-land. He writes “ In the Town-
land of Clonlum, and Parish of Killevy, about one mile and a quarter E. of the summit
of Slieve-Gullion, was a dolmen marked Cromlech in Ord. Surv. Map No. 29 ; also a
second not marked”.
54 7’ 51.258”N…6 24’ 9.356”W