MEGALITHIC MONUMENTS
  OF IRELAND.COM
CLONTYGORA COURT TOMB
Known locally as the "King's Ring",this court tomb has a prominent position in the
south-east part of the Slieve Gullion ring-dyke.It was built for collective burial by an
early farming community who cultivatated the land as long ago as 3,500 BC. Despite
damage to the structure,it is still an impressive monument. An imposing facade of tall
stones,some over 2.7m tall,defines the deep U_shaped forecourt where funeral rites        
were performed before the ashes or bones of the dead were taken through the entrance,
marked by two massive portal stones,to be placed inside the burial gallery. This fore -
court may have been used for other ceremonies as well as for  burial rites. The roof
slabs and a large capstone over the first of the three chambers,are supported by
enormous split granite boulders. Court tombs usually face east but this one faces north
towards a stream 100m away. The tomb was excavated in 1937 and the finds included
cremated bone, flint artifacts,pottery and a polished stone percellanite axe.
CO-ORDINATES
54 6' 43.6"N...6 19' 16.36"W
Hosting by Aabaco Web Hosting
CLONTYGORA COURT TOMB, COUNTY ARMAGH