|CARNANBANE DUAL COURT TOMB
|PHOTO by Pip POWELL
|This much ruined tomb, is situated on a knoll, overlooking the wedge tomb at
Ballybriest to the south-west, and with extensive views south-west, west and north-west.
This Dual-Court Tomb, otherwise known as Ballybriest, is located 1 mile north-west of
Lough Fea and is unusual in that it's chambers are back to back on different axes, set
in an oval cairn 32m in length x 16m in width, orientated roughly E-W, with a court at
either end. The north horn of both courts has disappeared due to land clearance in the
18th or 19th century, roughly down its central axis and most of the south side of the
east gallery has gone. The east gallery runs west into the cairn from the east fore-court,
while the west gallery runs slightly NE into the cairn from the west fore-court and
seems to be divided into two chambers. The tomb was excavated in 1937 and yielded
several flint scrapers and knives, as well as sherds of Neolithic pottery. The tomb was
found to have been built on an occupation site, with hearths, pot sherds & hazel nuts.
On lower ground, and about 150 yards to the south-west, are the remains of a
wedge-tomb dug out of the bog, showing that it was built before the bog began to grow
around the second millennium B.C.
54 44' 21.612"N...6 49' 5.341"W