MEGALITHIC MONUMENTS
   OF IRELAND.COM
ERVEY PORTAL TOMB
Hosting by Aabaco Web Hosting
This portal tomb, marked as 'Cromlech' on the 1912 edition of the OS maps, is located
in the town-land of Ervey (An Oirbhe) on a low ridge, in good pasture land, flanked to
the east & west by small hills, SW of the town of Kingscourt & west of the R164 in a
field known locally as 'Cairnhill'. The tomb is quiet damaged and is represented by two
slabs that are certainly in situ. One of these, on the south-side, is a large, upright portal
measuring 1.6m in height, 1.5m in width & 0.40m in depth, that leans slightly
southward and takes the whole weight of the large capstone. The capstone measures
3.7m in maximum length, 3.4m in width & 0.8m - 0.4m in depth. It is 2.7m above
ground level at the SE side, above the erect portal, with the NW side resting on the
ground. NE of the erect portal, is a prostrate slab embedded in the ground, that
measures 1.5m in length by 0.9m in width, and 'is most likely that this is a collapsed
upright' (Eogan, p.183). Between these, is a smaller slab measuring 1m in length by
0.25m in width and 'it maybe assumed that originally it formed a sill between the two
uprights' (Eogan, p.184). On the north side of the structure is a small lozenge-shaped
slab measuring 1.05m in height. Its relationship to the tomb or its purpose is unknown.
There is no trace of a cairn and the tomb is bounded by a modern field fence to the
north.
Sources:
Eogan, G., 'The Gallery Graves of Meath' (JRSAI, 1958)
Moore, Michael J., 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin, 1987)
CO-ORDINATES
53°52'53.6"N
6°49'46.5"W