|CLOGHER BOULDER BURIAL
|This Boulder Burial, marked a rock outcrop on the 1837 edition of the OS 6-inch
map, was not marked on the 1885 edition, is located on level ground, on a slight dry
platform in otherwise waterlogged ground, adjacent to a modern forest plantation,
West of Monasterren (Mainistir Réadáin) & Lough Gara (Loch Uí Ghadhra) & is
known locally as ‘The Giant’s Stone’. The large roof-stone boulder measures 1.8m
x 1.5m x 0.7m and rests on three support-stones. The two support-stones at the West
& NE measure 0.35m in height while the support-stone at the South measures 0.25
m in height. Above this support-stone is a pad-stone 0.09m in height which steadies
the roof-stone. This employment of a pad-stone is a clear indication that ‘the
affinities of this curious structure may lie with boulder-burials’. (1989, 98, no. 22).
Boulder burials, which have been dated to the middle and late Bronze Age, consist
of a large boulder or cover stones of megalithic proportions, resting on three or
four supporting stones. It is not thought that these monuments were covered by a
cairn, but stood above the ground in groups of up to four. Boulder burials are rare
in Sligo, with only two recorded within the Archaeological Inventory in the very
south of the county (Egan et. al. 2005, 29). (The other is at Achonry, some 17km to
the NNE of Clogher). Another feature of boulder burials is no clearly defined burial
chamber but rather a pit below the boulder containing cremated remains.
Egan, U. et al. 2005 Archaeological Inventory of County Sligo Vol. 1 – South Sligo.
The Stationary Office: Dublin
53°56'40" N...8°30'45" W