MEGALITHIC MONUMENTS
       OF IRELAND.COM
CORKAGH BEG CROSS INSCRIBED PILLAR
This cross-inscribed stone pillar, not marked on either of the 1837 or 1885 editions
of the OS 6-inch map, is located in an area of raised ground, possibly a raised ring-
fort, in otherwise wet hilly pasture; the Ardnaglass River to the west, with Aughris
Head (Ceann Eachrois) to the NW and Skreen (Scrín) to the south. It was
discovered in October 1976, when, Jack Flynn, the newly appointed Chief
Agriculture Officer for Sligo and a member of Sligo Field Club, learned from
Micheal Noone of Beltra of the existence of a cross-marked pillar on a ring-fort on
Seamus Gilligan’s land at Corkagh Beg, some miles west of Ballysadare, (Baile
Easa Dara). The stone pillar measures 1.5m in height, with a max. width of 0.34m,
is broader at the base than the top, aligned N-S and leaning slightly to the east.
There is a simple shallowly incised Latin-style cross is carved on the western face,
which has been smoothed, with bifurcated terminals 0.48m in length, in the lower
section of the pillar. At the base of the Pillar Stone, lie two ogham stones, while
there was a bullaun stone at the adjacent house to the north but that has
disappeared since the house was demolished before March 1984.
CO-ORDINATES
54°15'40" N…8°44'25" W
SMR No.:-SL013-108001
Hosting by Aabaco Web Hosting
CORKAGH BEG CROSS INSCRIBED PILLAR