|CORKAGHBEG OGHAM STONE II
|This is one of two ogham stones (Swift, C. 2002. 127-139) close to the platform
earthwork. Corkagh Beg Ogham Stone 2, not marked on either of the 1837 or 1885
editions of the OS 6-inch map, is located in an area of raised ground, possibly a
raised ring-fort, in otherwise wet hilly pasture, with the Ardnaglass River to the
west, Aughris Head (Ceann Eachrois) to the NW and Skreen (Scrín) to the south.
They were first mentioned by Martin Timoney in 1983, when three prostrate stones,
two of which are inscribed with ogham inscriptions, were discovered 50m to the
east embedded in the topsoil. They are currently lying at the base of a standing
Cross-Inscribed Pillar (SL013-108001) with a simple Latin-style cross carved on the
western face. Ogham stone 2 is located immediately east of ogham stone (SL013-
108002), and is approx; l.90m in length & 0.30m - 0.28m in width. The inscription
consists of seven clear strokes running down the eastern face that reads A...DQ…
It is thought to belong to the later 5th century (McManus, p. 77; Swift, p. 54--55).
54°15'40" N…8°44'25" W
Timoney, M.A. (ed.) 2002c A celebration of Sligo: first essays for Sligo Field Club.
Sligo Field Club.
McManus, D. (1991) A Guide to Ogam Maynooth Monographs 4. Maynooth: An
Swift, C. (2002) Archaeological Inventory of Sligo.