MEGALITHIC MONUMENTS
   OF IRELAND.COM
BALLYMACLARE CIST
Hosting by Aabaco Web Hosting
BALLYMACLARE Cist
Co. Wexford, Ireland
SMR No. WX034-074002

Situated at the eastern edge of a shelf in thick gorse, which falls away steeply,
overlooking a N-S valley with its stream c. 30m to the east along side the R734, NE of
Slieve Coiltia (Sliabh Coltair) and SE of the town of New Ross (Ros Mhic Thriúin).
The cist is not marked on the present OSI map but is marked on the earlier editions as
'Kelly's Rock'. The polygonal cist, orientated E - W, consists of a chamber, 1.05m x
0.95m, roofed by a large green stone slab which measures 3.28m in length, 1.2m in
width and 0.30m in max depth. The roof stone is supported by seven orthostats, 0.4m x
0.6-0.45m x 1-0.4m, which form the chamber walls and two flat slabs form a paved
floor. In 1938 during construction of the nearby national school at Aclare, stones from
the covering cairn were removed revealing the cist. Inside the chamber two complete
pots, one containing a human skull and the other containing cremated remains, were
found and removed. Their present whereabouts are unknown. It was noted at that time
that the cairn was surrounded by a circular 'moat' or ditch that extended 10m in
diameter. The cist is within a grassy mound and gorse-covered barrow 23m in diameter
with a maximum height of 1m.
CO-ORDINATES
52 20' 38.289"N...6 54' 31.901"W